Foundational Herbalism Series
Foundational Herbalism is an introductory course encompassing the fundamental principles of Traditional Western Herbalism. consisting of morning lecture and afternoon herbal preparation lab. This course will introduce you to a new way of looking at plants and their uses.
2020年3月01日 11:00 – 2020年4月25日 16:00
Cactus Mart, 49889 Twentynine Palms Highway, Morongo Valley, CA 92256, USA
Foundational Herbalism is an introductory course encompassing the fundamental principles of Traditional Western Herbalism. This program consists of a series of five classes (25 hours) consisting of morning lecture and afternoon herbal preparation lab.
This course will introduce you to a new way of looking at plants and their uses.
- Aromatics, Bitters, Demulcents, Astringents
- Meeting the Five Flavors: Salty, Sweet, Sour, Bitter, and Acrid. Here we will taste herbs and experience their actions in our bodies. Participants will learn how these herbal actions and the Five Flavors can be applied as part of the foundations of herbalism.
- Bioregional Materia Medica: Working with flora of the Southwest, we will focus on plants that are accessible in the herb trade along with those we can cultivate our own medicinal native gardens.
- Herbal Preparations. In each class participants will learn how to prepare and use these herbs in the following preparations:
- Herbal infused oils for culinary and medicinal uses.
- Acetum (herbal vinegars) and Oxymels
- Teas, Infusions and Decoctions
Where: We will meet in the Sunroom at Cactus Mart, 49889 Twentynine Palms Highway, Morongo Valley, CA 92256
Dates: March 1, 8, April 4, 11, 25, 2020, 11AM – 4PM with ½ hour lunchbreak
- The entire 5 week series is $300, $225 if paid in full by February 23, 2020.
- We offer a payment plant and there is a $50 nonrefundable deposit to hold your spot.
Payment plans available. All money paid is nonrefundable.
You will need these items throughout the term. You will get a specific list for each class.
- Four pint jars (16 ounce) clean with matching lids. Mason/ball jars can be purchased in the canning department of most stores. i.e. Michaels Craft Store, Walmart.
- Two eight ounce jars clean with matching lids.
- A cup or mug is required for each class.
- Pen and Paper for note taking.
- Wooden spoon or chop stick, knife, cutting board, and cloth towel.
- 4 ounces honey, preferably organic or raw.
- 1 quart organic extra virgin olive oil. If you cannot get organic get extra virgin olive oil.
- One 1.75 liter (half gallon) of 120 proof (60%) vodka or Everclear. It is imperative that you purchase this percentage of alcohol for tincture and liniment making. You can source from Bevmo.
Upon registration you will recieve an email for the items needed for the day of the class per date of each class.